[TCUG] Above ground stopline detectors

  • From: "Bull Peter" <Peter.Bull@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 15:32:16 +0100

We, and possibly some of you who don't have road condition standards so bad
they warrant a £660m PFI scheme, have a number of sites where loop detection is
faulty and there is no point recutting until the road surface is brought up to
scratch. It may be several months, or a couple of years, before this is done.
In the meantime we would like to be able to install some above ground
detection, which doesn't have to be perfect to be a lot better than no
detection at all. We have often used a combination of microwaves for approach
detection with a stopline loop, so what we are looking for is a reasonable
above ground replacement for the stopline loop - preferably something that can
be easily and cheaply installed on a signal head. I think we've tried most of
what is available, but I would be grateful for any suggestions and experiences.

Peter Bull

--
Peter Bull
Traffic Information & Control Manager

Sheffield City Council, 2-10 Carbrook Hall Road, Sheffield S9 2DB
Tel: (0114) 273 6174   Fax: (0114) 273 6182

The information in this email is
intended for the addressee(s) only.
If you are not the addressee, please
tell us by using the reply facility
in your email software as soon as
possible.
Sheffield City Council cannot accept
any responsibility for the accuracy
or completeness of this message as it
has been transmitted over a public
network. If you suspect that the
message may have been intercepted or
amended please tell us as soon as
possible.
Sheffield City Council may monitor all email passing through its networks.