[tabi] Re: an idea for Nova 2010

  • From: "Easy Talk" <easytalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 07:22:12 -0500

What meeting was it.  Were Star Metro people there?  I think this approach
would work especially if the city used a particular sign design that  was
recognized tactually.
   We  still have the problem of locating audible signals and the best way I
have heard of is beeping locater buttons.

  Now chip ref the message you posted about the vibrating receivers.  I have
been working with a company called Bones Inc located in Switzerland who make a
product called Milestone m312.  It is a very small device weighing 1.4 ounces.
It is a digital recorder, MP3 player, Daisy player and there are certain models
with a FM radio and RFID reader.  The unit is designed to allow for additional
features, for example soon a color identifier attachment will be released that
will identify colors and also give descriptions of the pattern.  The RFID
reader allows you to scan a RFID tag and attach a recorded message which can be
shared with other users.  The tags are about a buck a peace and they have them
for out doors and even ones that can be frozen.

  Anyway back to my point.  Bones is also developing a transit system and is
testing in 3 locations in Switzerland.  below is the info.  I am also
considering distributing this product in the u.s so any feedback would be
appreciated.  You can read more about the company and the Milestone M312 at
  www.bones.ch

  Robert

  PAVIP Transport
  PAVIP Transport is an information and navigational system in the public
transport
  for visually handicapped people. The following idea of a user experience with
PAVIP
  Transport gives you an impression of how this system shall help its users:
  You reach a bus stop and grab your Milestone 312 with the PAVIP module. You
scan
  over the front of the time table and receive acoustically the information at
which
  bus station you are, which bus lines will stop here, when they appear, what
the location
  around you looks like and much more information. You open the point "bus
lines" on
  your M312 and choose the line number 7 to the train station. When the bus
line 7
  is 100m in front of your station, you receive a signal acoustically or over
vibration
  that your bus is near. The bus stops in front of you. With a push of a button
on
  M312 you open the door of the bus. A discreet acoustic signal from the bus
entry
  helps you to locate and find the bus door. While sitting on the bus you get
connected
  to the bus system. You have now further information available on your M312,
as for
  example which is the next bus station. You can also look ahead and request
all the
  following stops of your line 7. If you come to know that the next station is
yours,
  you can activate the bus stop request over Milestone and when it arrives,
again activate
  the acoustic help to find the door. If necessary the system can also give out
information
  about the design of the bus, for example hurdles (steps) when you exit. Or in
the
  train where the toilets are or the diner. When you have left the bus you can
again
  scan the time table. You can inform yourself about further bus connections or
just
  get some information about the area around you.
  This PAVIP system is an important concern of Bones Inc. The idea is to launch
a standard
  system for public transport and to make the same information available for
visually
  impaired and blind people as sighted people have. We see this as an important
piece
  of the puzzle of navigation. A first trial of this capacious project was
developed
  in the city of St.Gallen in Switzerland. The appropriate infrastructure has
been
  built up for the local bus network.
  Vision
  PAVIP Transport is a first step of a bigger vision for a transportation and
navigational
  system for visually impaired and blind people. A second step would be the
expansion
  with information and navigational points on populous places in cities. This
would
  activate the system point-wise besides public transport. A last step would
involve
  satellite navigation to build bridges between these information points and
complete
  the information and navigational system.