[tabi] Re: an idea for Nova 2010

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 11:46:06 -0500

Lynn,

well, I certainly was hoping StarMetro would bear the entire cost of
this solution.  perhaps they'd charge say a $25 fee for the loan of a
handheld unit, refundable if you turned it back in in working order.
that should not be too much for anyone to pay, and yet be enough to
cause only those who need them to ask for them, and to take care of
them.

the manufacturer told me that deep discounting would be available for
quantity purchases, so these may not cost StarMetro too much to
implement.

finally, unless it's a divided highway, it should be possible for the
base stations to send it's beam across a street (perhaps not
catty-corner), but it should be able to tell you if the bus stop was
across the street (and of course tell you where, if any, the button for
the audible signal is located).

And, if we can get StarMetro or anyone to star using this technology,
which is very inexpensive ($200 a base station retail price, $175 a
handheld unit), then we can use that as an example to others and to
blind citizens as a reason to star investing money in it for other
locations.