[tabi] Re: Comcast

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 13:49:18 -0400

Hi William,

Yes, I have one of these cards, it's called a "cablecard", and you can
either buy it, or you get one a for free with your Comcast account.  If
you want more than one from Comcast, they charge you a few dollars a
month to rent it if you don't go buy one.

However, the hang-up is very few TVs will take a cablecard.  Generally
it's those HD flatscreen TVs, above 40 inches in size, which are priced
at the high end because they're full of features.  Sony has offered it
more than any other brand.

I have a TiVo, which also will take a cablecard, and since a TiVo sits
between my TV and the cable system, it's acting like a TV and sort of
like a cable box for me.

The advantage to cablecards is that you don't have to have a box sitting
out, and you don't have to deal with a second remote control, or trying
to program the universal remote from Comcast to control your TV and
stereo.  You get to use your TVs remote if it has a cablecard installed
in it (or I get to use the TiVos remote, which controls the TiVo, my TV,
and my stereo).

Sorry, I know the next question from someone is whether a TiVo is
accessible, and for the most part the answer is no.

I can program it via the web site (meant for people who are away from
home and who don't want to miss some show), but that's all; trying to do
anything with it except view live TV causes it to put up an on-screen
menu.

Hth,