[sustainableri] Re: very important! MUCH!

  • From: Violet Gurian <violetgurian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sustainableri@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 14:04:40 -0400

hey! i may actually be able to make it to the meeting tonight!
is anyone heading over there from the east side?? and where exactly will the meeting be?

On Mar 24, 2010, at 11:01 PM, Michael Giroux wrote:

Hi all!! It looks to be a wonderful day tomorrow, and I want to double-invite everyone to join us at the garden. We've made plans to go down there and get the beds prepared and cleaned up, and also start organizing our seeding process and get soem things started. This will also be followed at 5:30 by the general meeting which has been discussed and really EVERYONE should make effort to attend. Susie, Nina & I (as well as a guest recruit Jeff) went down there on Saturday to begin the trash picking process; Nina suggested a very intensive picking for small pieces of broken glass so we can one day go barefoot inside that chain-link. As I said, it's supposed to be nice out tomorrow. I'll be down there w/ Trev potentially hanging a new door on the sunhouse that is 68% GLASS. So fun stuff. Mark will be coming and I've recruited a URI master gardener as well as droves of neighborhood kids. Fun will be had by all. As you can see, the moon is more than half full, meaning we have about four or five days to most wonderfully capture the rhythm of the SYNODIC cycle of the moon, it's rhythm between full and new. This week is considered the best week for seeding in the SYNODIC cycle. Best to plant during the big & waxing moon! According to Biodynamics, tomorrow is a good day to plant LEAF vegetables (moon in cancer, ruled by water, which is associated with Leaf Growth in plants) so any of that lettuce spinach kale cabbage is perfect. theres a bunch of info on that HERE: http://www.the-gardeners-calendar.co.uk/MoonPlanting.asp and I'd also like to highly recommend this article title ALCHEMICAL GARDENING----
http://www.triad-publishing.com/stone20c.html
(actually meant to blow your mind---

"The intent of this article is to establish not the last word about alchemical gardening, but rather the first. By this approach I hope to stimulate an ongoing dialogue within the worldwide scope of the STONE so that we may grow in our understanding of natural, lawful, gardening.

Concern about the environment, overpopulation, earth changes, global disease, and a dozen other serious issues, stalk our daily lives. Realistically, what can we expect in 5, 10, or 20 years? It's impossible to say, exactly, but we know we'll need to eat, and we'll need medicines, and we'll need a sound and productive natural world. This is certain.

More specifically, increasing toxicity in our air, water, and soil, which eventually seeps into our food, directly affects our health. Meats and dairy products carry anti biotic residues and hormone growth enhancers; fruits are sprayed; vegetables are radiated; and many prepackaged foods carry propyl derivatives.

In view of these considerations, more and more people are taking the responsibility of augmenting their food resources with back yard gardens, organically grown food, stored food, and "controlled environment" food production such as the biodynamic principles of farming. Yet, I dare say, the vast majority of these well intentioned people are unaware of the nutritional potential of adding Alchemically managed food production principles to their methods."

401PURE858

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 8:02 PM, Dauna J. Noble <daunajean@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: mike! You are an angel! yes get waiting list! yes best way to fill out and keep in. FYI_ Yarrow is currently negotiating with an afterschool program to rent the rear bay of his building, if they do, they want to garden...its all in the works man!

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 10:58 PM, Michael Giroux <eagleseasons@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:
Thanks for caring for the schedule, Dauna.
I have planted some flower seeds in the serpentine bed thus far, so let me know where we put in those blueberries, (I would be interested in those!) I am in full agreement, Andrea, that we have a unique and effective opportunity to grow crops way more efficiently when we have them in neat rows, planted to receive their proper sunlight and so forth, and can have one person go over there and take care of watering the whole thing, so on and so on. It is very eloquently put in your message; I couldnt say it any better. Every other South Side Community Garden has a waiting list. Some people have been on waiting lists for three years. We should contact these people, and incite them to join with us, to be in involved with our progressive and novel take, which is actually more efficient and rational. I have been personally speaking on our behalf to a few people who have shown interest, some right in the neighborhood. But I think a cohesive recruitment is very much in order!! I would be willing to write a statement, Andrea, your statement right there may be a righteous piece in itself!! Can we get that waiting list and contact them?? I am with you too, A, in that I'm not opposed to people doing their own thing, but I would much prefer them to join with us!! I did talk with Yarrow to the point that if we see a bed being obviously neglected this year, we would place a complaint and if those repsonsible dont take care of it, that bed will revert to the collective control of the garden after a said amount of time (I proposed three days, like if there is tons of bugs on their plants and everything, we want to be able to address that quickly) I am going to write to the gardens coordinator right now, from SCLT, and try to get that waiting email list. If any of you would like to write quick snippets, such as: "There is this greenhouse that kind of reminds me of a spaceship, and the people there reassured me that the sun wasn't going to blow up in two thousand twelve!" -Christian, young neighborhood resident You know, in your own words though, not paraphrasing for someone else. With these three year waiting lists, I have a feeling we may be able to drum up some members, and I believe we're offering a sort of premier membership in some ways, considering the greenhouse access, although I havent heard anything about extra fees for greenhouse use; emm? I have been nominated as Greenhouse Steward, a position I will accept if/when it becomes formal. I submitted my own wishes for our agreement, including the right to keep BEES which Yarrow is also entirely in favor of, and that we can maintain a campfire space. I am all about maximizing garden beds, but I really feel that the fire is part of keeping our spirits burning, and actually (quick story) one friend and potential new member I brought over changed his opinion from "maybe interested" to "definitely coming this thursday" when I showed him our bad-ass firepit. So as far as making sure we've got enough members, I think there are other allures besides vegetables, being honest. Community and good times are right up there. (we're also going to be needing to burn those blight ridden tomato plants and so forth, so it's really part of farm operations in my book.) More update: the kids have been coming around regularly, they want to learn a lot and grow their own seeds, very interested, very enquiring. So I am inviting them to come on Thursdays also, because that is my consistent day of stewardship and I'll be coming up with activities for them and satisfying their interest in astronomy etc. I think we could eventually get money to do after school programming summer programming etc. which is another way we could pay for our collective rental of the land. If anyone would like to work with me on that, please do!!! For now I just keep doing the good things with trust it will all pan out in the end. More update: The greenhouse is so god-porkin beautiful these days; it has gained a whole new motif since y'all have been there. There's a reason we'll be planting SPACE SPINACH in there this week. (By the way, I went and picked up our 200 seed packs from URI, and also traded for some local seeds from the Laotians and other Providence gardeners. It is high time to get some seeds going and I really look forward to getting some trays filled.) Trev gave it all a fresh coat of paint, and our friend Than has been coming by to water his seedlings, am I making you envious???? well you should be! let's get some seeds going! we gotta straighten out the deal before we do that, tho I put in some basil just to keep myself calm. Yarrow's main focus seems to be upon effective use of the space. He doesnt want to see the land neglected nay more than we do. That is why he would like to get more people involved. Hell, I think we all do! My own hope is that we bring them into the fold of Fertile Underground, because I think it is more coherent, as Andrea described. We have a novel approach that I agree, I don't see elsewhere in any gardens of our size in Prov. So write me some short quotes, those of you with the inspiration to do so, and I'll piece together some sort of press statement if I can get it to that waiting list. Much love, everyone, I look forward to seeing you. By the way, anyone up for a game of 8-player chess?

    Michael

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 1:34 PM, Dauna J. Noble <daunajean@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: > OK, firstly --- blueberry bushes have recieved such excitement, I think we > would alll love to have them if possible and Yarrow concurs, and serpentine