[sustainableri] very important! MUCH!

  • From: "Dauna J. Noble" <daunajean@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sustainableri@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 13:34:17 -0400

OK, firstly --- blueberry bushes have recieved such excitement, I think we
would alll love to have them if possible and Yarrow concurs, and serpentine
bed seems good for them.  So, if that can happen  -DO IT!

scedule adjust per request- WE WILL MEET EVERY OTHER THURSDAY @ 530
CAMPFIRE, STARTING MARCH 25TH,   BUT, ALSO APRIL 1, THEN EVERY TWO FROM
THERE.  SO    MARCH 25, APRIL 1, APRIL 15TH, APRIL 29TH, MAY 14, MAY
28......

AND 1ST SAT OF THE MONTH @ 430  APRIL 3,  MAY 1, JUNE 5, JULY 3....

EVERY THURS AFTERNOON IS A GROUP WORK DAY, AND EVERY SAT AFTERNOON IS A
GROUP WORK DAY. EVEN IF ITS NOT A MEETING DAY.

You are not required to catch every meeting but both are offered for sched
flexabilty.  the idea is to stay connected, so if you cant do thursdays,
really try to be there for the sat meetings and vise versa. YOU ARE REQUIRED
TO CATCH AT LEAST ONE A MONTH!

NOW THE BIG DEAL

met with yarrow last weekend.  He is taking a MUCH more active role this
year and is hell bent on seeing the garden filled up and rockin.  This is
definately a good thing, but presents its challlenges.  Yarrows title is now
Garden Director, while mine is Garden Coordinator, and he pretty much wants
to make most of the decisions.  He seems to be developing the garden under a
system to allow it to run as a community garden should our group pull out.
He is giving us first rights on everything and does acknowledge that we
brought it this far, so he is being cool, but he is tricky to understand.
Basically, he has staked out many many more beds that he claims he will lead
the building of(and pay for building of), maybe 30 or 40 beds in total (4x8
beds-so many of ours are doubles).  Now, he says we can take as much of the
garden as we want to pay for, and the rest he would rent out community
style.  This leaves the greenhouse running as a separate entity, where some
members or the group rent greenhouse space, or other entities, other
seasons, rent it separately.  Seems confusing to me and I would much rather
see us rent the whole garden and be more clear.  But that is up to you
guys.  Nothing is set in stone yet- but he is thinking 40 beds at $40 a bed
(includes dirt, water, etc)  which is $1600.  We have 15-20 members
currently, so that would put us at $80 - $100 PER MEMBER for the year, if we
want the whole garden and most of the greenhouse (except special projects,
winter rental etc)  Payment this year is one-time pay, preferable on April
1. (sorry we cant do the monthly thing again - hes not having it and it was
alot of trouble.)and the season means April thru November.If we do it this
way we would be paying less than last year, have alot more services and
recsources via Yarrow, and twice the bed space, more than twice the food.

or...do we want to consider having less beds, less contol, less food,  and
pay less, and have our group function as a group that works a portion of the
garden while other community members have their own beds.  At this point,
the garden itself is one thing, Fertile Underground its tenant.

We have to have a final vote on this ASAP, AND SIGN UP AND PAY UP, so we
will discuss it at the meeting this coming thursday @ 530, and vote.  If you
are unable to attend, please forward your comments and insights, and
preferences about which way you would like to see this go and how much $
you would prefer to pay/ how much is your limit you would pay and still
maintain your membership.  We intend to sign a lease April 1, so please plan
to arrange for your membership fees by then if at all possible.  We will be
in the garden for facetime/payment  thursday 25th (3-7)  sat. 27th (1-4) and
thursday april 1 (3-7), or can be mailed to Dauna Noble 109 Summer St. Prov
RI 02903.

It is tricky, but considering how far we have come and how lucky we were to
get out of $1000 debt AND still have a garden, I think we can work it out.
what do you think?  hope to see you alll thursday!

dirtluv!
-Dauna

ps-sorry i missed you at the sat. kick-off --my truck broke down, got
stuck....