[suncommunity] Re: usb external hard drive

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Sun Community Forum <suncommunity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 18:10:31 +0100

This message was sent from: Sun Community Forum.
<http://www.gekkou.co.uk/forum/read.php?f=1&i=2695&t=2314>

hmmm ... (plugging in my usb hard drive now ... "boot -r") mines a maxtor
and i am running somewhat old version of solaris 9 and obp 4.5 (yeah i need
to update sometime) ... let see what i get ...

format can see my drive ok

# format
Searching for disks...done

AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
       0. c0t0d0
          /pci@1f,0/ide@d/dad@0,0
       1. c0t2d0
          /pci@1f,0/ide@d/dad@2,0
       2. c1t0d0 <'maxusb' cyl 65000 alt 2 hd 16 sec 63>
          /pci@1f,0/usb@c,3/storage@1/disk@0,0
Specify disk (enter its number):

so can the management console/gui ...

Its been kind of a while since I did this the geometry (number of cyls etc)
looks kind of shaky think its a 40 gig drive that i currently can use about
30 gig of think i fudged some of this stuff.

Heres an idea that is admittedly real kludgy but might get you going you
could perhaps pop out of your usb enclosure your drive and get it installed
first inside your machine ... get it formatted then label it ... then
remove it from internal and stick back into usb enclosure.  *** struggling
to remember if this is what i was forced to do dont think so but ???

Last questions think you said your OBP is relatively current right there
were some issues with seeing larger drives for a while ... all that went
away with me once I upgraded to 4.5 on this machine.

Good luck John

Sent using Phorum software version 3.4.4 <http://phorum.org>