[SI-LIST] Re: high-order coupling between inductors in hspice

  • From: Zhangkun <zhang_kun@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: a.ingraham@xxxxxxxx, si-list <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 20:55:43 +0800

Andy

In HSPICE manual, it is really printed. The following is the original text.

Best Regards

Zhangkun
2004.10.25

When using the mutual inductor element to calculate the coupling between more
than two inductors, Star-Hspice can automatically calculate an approximate
second-order coupling. See the third example below for a specific situation.

Examples
Inductors Lin and Lout are coupled with a coefficient of 0.9.
K1 Lin Lout 0.9
Inductors Lhigh and Llow are coupled with a coefficient equal to the value of
the
parameter COUPLE.
Kxfmr Lhigh Llow K=COUPLE
The two mutual inductors K1 and K2 couple L1 and L2, and L2 and L3,
respectively. The coupling coefficients are 0.98 and 0.87. Star-Hspice
automatically calculates the mutual inductance between L1 and L3, with a
coefficient of 0.98*0.87=0.853.
K1 L1 L2 0.98
K2 L2 L3 0.87

Warning: The automatic inductance calculation is only an estimation and is
accurate for a subset of geometries. The second-order coupling
coefficient is simply the product of the two first-order coefficients,
which is not correct for many geometries.