[SI-LIST] Re: high-order coupling between inductors in hspice

  • From: "Andrew Ingraham" <a.ingraham@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 08:30:01 -0400

Zhangkun,

I don't know where K3=K1*K2 comes from, but I think it is just plain wrong.
You could have positive coupling between L1 and L2 and between L2 and L3,
but the coupling between L1 and L3 could be negative or zero.  You can't
guess what it is from the other coupling coefficients.

Or consider the case where L1 and L3 are tightly coupled but L2 is far away.
K1 and K2 are small, but K3 isn't.  K3!=K1*K2.

The same goes for any number of coupled inductors.  You need to specify
every non-zero coefficient; you can't guess one based on the others.

Regards,
Andy

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: