[SI-LIST] Re: What is probability distribution for logic switching

  • From: Mike Brown <bmgman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kalevi@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 18:56:48 -0600

Kai,

I'm not sure that statistics is a good approach here.  It used to be
that a clock-to-clock path often involved multiple chip crossings, and
you could appeal to an RMS delay calculation to pull you out of a
negative slack situation. This appeal is justified by the (presumably)
independent process points of the chips in the path.  Most modern
designs take a signal from a source chip and wire it directly to a
destination chip.  There's no intervening logic to justify appealing to
a statistical spread.

If you are talking about timing a system, there's little to do except
adjust the vendor's best and worst case numbers for any common-mode
effects: power and/or temperature.  This because in general two
different parts on a board can come from different lots (or even
different vendors) at different process extremes.  It isn't always easy
to find a Kv or Kt factor to use in this derating.  This approach can
give you some comfort in living with the calculated negative slack.

On a single die, not only the power and temperature are common-mode, but
so is the process used to fabricate the die.  It is a fact that you
can't get worst case slow and best case fast on the same die in a fixed
environment.  The short/fast paths on a worst-case slow PVT die won't be
anywhere best-case fast - but they will not be worst-case slow either.

There's only one vendor that I know of that acknowledges that fact, and
provides timing models that reflect it.  That vendor is IBM.  Most chip
vendors steadfastly proclaim that the short (early) paths are worst-case
slow, also.  I've used a "tracking factor" of 10% to derate the short
paths on a slow PVT, or the long paths on a fast PVT analysis.  This is
somewhat of a SWAG, based on some old data I once ran across.

I believe that 0 derating is flat wrong;  I've seen data on a GaAs
process stating 17% spread in on-die delay variation (IIRC).  I can
justify a perhaps 2% voltage spread and perhaps a 10C variation in Tj
across a die - and that calculates out to a (technology-dependent)
number between 8-15% delay change.  I'd guess that 20% or more
adjustment  is overly conservative.  Pick your poison, or find a vendor
who can support the cross-die timing skew that is present.

Regards

Mike

Kai Keskinen wrote:

>A little question about probability here:
>
>When we do static timing analysis (STA) using simulation tools, we extract
>the flight times with buffer delay compensation for a rising edge  with the
>minimum time being when the signal goes through VinL and the maximum time
>being when the signal goes through VinH. Does anyone know what kind of
>probability distribution there is for when the device actually switches?
>Let's assume we are taking about CMOS and use a rising edge as an example.
>Assume no noise or cross-talk, just a nice quiet receiver getting a nice
>clean edge.
>
>Does anyone have a good reference for doing statistical timing analysis?
>What I mean is calculating the likelyhood of a timing failure occurring if
>the STA has shown a negative margin. With the faster clock speeds, we are
>getting more negative margins with one or more corner cases and sometimes,
>there appears to be no reasonable fix to get positive timing for all cases.
>
>Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
>
>Kai

>//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>
>For help:
>
>List FAQ wiki page is located at: