[SI-LIST] Re: Noise on BGA core voltage rail

  • From: "istvan novak" <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Anand.Kuriakose@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 22:41:43 -0400

Anand,

If you have power-ground planes with bypass capacitors on it, you have
the potential of creating two types of resonances (beyond the
(capacitor-to-capacitor antiresonances)
- capacitor-to-plane resonance (this was your question)
- modal plane resonances

The above resonance modes are linked together by the way how
you can fight them.  A simple way to reduce both of them by using
the smallest number of parts, you have to
- determine the equivalent characteristic impedance of the planes
- make sure that the equivalent cumulative resistance of bypass capacitors
matches the plane equivalent impedance (this will reduce the
modal plane resonances)
- AND make sure that the equivalent inductance of bypass capacitors
is much less than the equivalent inductance of your planes (these two
conditions will greatly reduce the capacitor-plane resonance)

Note: as it was mentioned earlier on this list, these potential resonances
do
not cause any problem to you if you make sure that either you dont excite
the resonances, or if you excite them the resulting noise is still OK for
your system.

regards

Istvan Novak
SUN Microsystems