[SI-LIST] Re: Layout Cross Section

  • From: Kim Helliwell <kimgh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: urich@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 09:16:38 -0800

There is a SOLDERMASK option in Allegro, and you
can add it to your stackup. I have done this myself.
I think the trick is not to insist on calling it the TOP
layer. Unfortunately, I don't have current access to
Allegro, and I cannot recall the details, but I know from
personal experience that adding a soldermask is
possible (and very easy) in Alllegro.

Perhaps someone with access to Allegro can fill in the
details?

Kim

On Feb 18, 2004, at 8:53 AM, Uri Chaplianka wrote:

> Hi Gurus,
> I see that in Cadence Allegro exist big mistake but nobody worry about
> it. I
> talk about Layout Cross Section. I see that external layers( TOP and
> BOTTOM)
> have only 1 options of cover - AIR. But usually 90% of boards use
> SOLDERMASK
> and have other Er.
> I can change layer AIR  in Subclasses/Etch to other material like FR-4
>  (no
> SOLDERMASK )  but not exist possibility to enter  Er and Lost Tangent.
> So,
> impedance that you calculate will be not right ! Professional tools
> like
> Polar always use all possible covers and have another calculation
> result.
> I think it MUST be added to next release of allegro.
>
> Thanks and best regards,
>
> Uri Chaplin
>
> Senior PCB Designer
> BATM Advanced Communications Ltd.