[SI-LIST] Re: Do you really ship products at BER 10e-xx ?

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: andyp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Bradley.S.Henson@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 04:31:26 -0700

Andy, three issues:

1) Know / control the environment.  PLL's don't just fall out of lock by
themselves without help from the outside, power disturbance, being the
number one culprit.   If you insure that power is clean and undisturbed by
things like digital return currents, a properly designed PLL will not lose
lock.  Similarly, your cabling will be subejected to whatever ESD and EFT
is in the environment.

2) All data links eventually get errors.  It is a matter of time.  If bad
things will happen as a result of a communication link error or failure
then you need some sort of back-up.

3) Large interleaving ratios can help reduce the probability that a run of
errors will be uncorrectable.

Steve

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: