[SI-LIST] Re: Do you really ship products at BER 10e-xx ?

  • From: "George Tang" <gtang@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 19:46:23 -0700

Chris,

If you believe in statistical analysis, you can use the following method to
determine BER of your system.  You first measure the PLL output (for
simplicity, assume DJ=0) and record the time that each rising edge and
falling edge occurs.  From these timed events, you can calculate jitter.
Plot this distribution as a function of jitter and determine the standard
deviation.  About 68% of the sample data is within +/- 1 standard deviation.
This means if your eye opening inside the receiver is larger than +/- 7
standard deviation of the PLL RJ, your BER is 1e-12 or better.

Alfred, please email me the papers offline, too.

Thanks,

George