[SI-LIST] Re: Diff.Pairs

  • From: "Ingraham, Andrew" <a.ingraham@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 11:03:21 -0400

> Lastly, concerning the effect of plane breaks, differential mode currents
> are not affected by the break because they cancel, and the plane acts as a
> virtual equipotential surface or plane.

I would assume that this is true ONLY when the differential traces are on
the same layer and adjacent where they cross the plane break.

If they were routed as independent single-ended signals, even with identical
length constraints, the return current cancellation would be much less
effective if it happens at all (except at low frequencies).

For a broadside coupled pair that is sandwiched between ground planes, the
return currents would not cancel very effectively unless you provided plenty
of paths (vias) from one plane to the other in the vicinity of where the
pair crosses the plane break, on both sides of the break.

Regards,
Andy

List archives are viewable at: