[SI-LIST] Re: Diff.Pairs

  • From: esayre <esayre@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: chris.cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx, "'mchin@xxxxxxxxx'" <mchin@xxxxxxxxx>,"'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 23:12:26 -0400

Dear fellow colleagues:

It should be clear from the many interchanges on this subject that there
are lots of ways to design differential pairs ranging from uncoupled to
coupled using either edge coupled or broadside or uncoupled traces on
different layers. The design style used should be a manifestation of
thoughtful engineering decisions relating to the specific design underway.
All the methods are valid implementations or differential transmission
systems each with well defined design paradigms and parameter sensitivities.

It is important to remember that the first design rule in logic card work
is get the whole design to fit and this sometimes makes us favor one
approach over another especially if it worked the last time! There is no
magic or "witch-craft" (Halloween Season joke!) to differential
interconnects.  All mentioned implementations work when designed properly,
although there is evidence that edge coupled lines will, at some data rate,
have larger losses due to "edge crowding and knife edge exponential loss
effects". These edge effects reduce the effective high frequency conduction
area resulting in slightly higher skin losses than the equivalent broadside
coupled design.  It's all about symmetry and current distribution.

Broadside coupling is not very sensitive to horizontal mis-alignment until
the mis-alignment is on the order of a trace width.  The fields do not mind
bending.  Edge coupled line impedances are sensitive to the material that
is removed between coupled traces, so this implementation is sensitive to
the accuracy of the etch process and trace copper weight.  When traces are
completely uncoupled, as they seem be in one of Lee Richey's designs, there
is no coupling sensitivity  but the traces must be identical in impedance
or they will exhibit differential mode to common mode energy conversion due
to impedance asymmetry.  To be right on the money, confirming calculations
must be made with the actual PCB dielectric constants (Dk's) and finished
thicknesses of the dielectric materials.

All differential PCB trace designs are prone to impedance errors  when the
trace width gets down to the 4mil width range since that's getting down to
edge placement  accuracy or alignment accuracy limits.  When the copper is
deposited onto the PCB (so called additive processes)  to form the traces,
the accuracy is much better so that the impedance comes closer to design
parameters but the process is more expensive.  The lesson here is don't use
4mil lines if you can help it, especially when they form a coupled
differential pair for any appreciable distance.

Lastly, concerning the effect of plane breaks, differential mode currents
are not affected by the break because they cancel, and the plane acts as a
virtual equipotential surface or plane.  However, if there is a common mode
current component present in the PCB trace currents due to skew or driver
unbalance, the plane break will radiate since the break looks like a
magnetic dipole or slot antenna fed by common mode currents.  The resultant
radiated field strength is related to the resonant antenna properties of
the slot and the applied fundamental signal frequency.  If the fundamental
frequency and antenna radiating resonance are close, the slot or break will
radiate strongly. ( See any book on antennas for more detail.)

Sincerely,

ed sayre

List archives are viewable at: