[SI-LIST] Re: De-embed fixture

  • From: Jim Nadolny <jim.nadolny@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ming Li <swagguy09@xxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 16:39:38 +0000

Ming Li,

I worked with Agilent on this exact problem.

Agilent developed a method within ADS to perform "S-parameter bi-section".  The
method is pretty cool, you iterate in frequency to develop 2 mirror images
which when combined yield the fixture response.  It worked perfectly on
simulated data but had a lot of glitches when using real world data.  Small
things like phase wrap and noise lead to problems with the data.   The big
killer is that you assume the fixture response is symmetric, but in in all
likelihood it's not perfectly symmetric.

To Agilent's credit, we did get there with this method but at the end of the
day a TRL/M cal method was more robust and quicker for fixture removal.

Good luck -
jn