[SI-LIST] Re: Decoupling capacitor placement

  • From: Mellberg Hans <htmguy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wei_Chen@xxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 10:05:30 -0700 (PDT)

In my opinion the best decoupling placement topology
is the one that places the cap as close to the Vxx pin
as possible and minimizing total path inductance. I
prefer to go to the plane as soon as possible and use
the plane instead of a trace. That means vias at the
decoupling cap and vias at the IC pad. Two vias are
better than one as the inductances are reduced. The
total loop inductance must be minimized as well as the
round trip flight time. That means employing all
possible tricks to minimize inductance and distance to
the cap from the IC.