[SI-LIST] Re: DDR2 Trace Length Margin

  • From: <Aubrey_Sparkman@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 18:04:29 -0500

Scott,

 "then you must believe that if the CAD tool says that the traces are
matched to 1 mil, that their delays are identical".
Nope.  Don't know how you reached this conclusion....

But you make a good point; it's under-design that takes less time and
thought.   It is over-design that wastes time.  But I think that's
nit-picking....   I recommend doing a margin and risk assessment BEFORE
doing any simulations.

BTW, I'm not defending 2 or 10 mil length matching; I've railed against
that many times in the past.  In this case, I'm complaining about a few
people jumping to the wrong conclusion.

Aubrey Sparkman
Enterprise Engineering Signal Integrity Team
Dell, Inc.
Aubrey_Sparkman@xxxxxxxx
(512) 723-3592
"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has
taken place." -- George Bernard Shaw

________________________________

                From: Loyer, Jeff <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
<mailto:jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
                To: Dan Smith <Dan.Smith@xxxxxxxxx>
<mailto:Dan.Smith@xxxxxxxxx> ; <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<mailto:si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                Date: 7/24/2008 10:28:16 AM

                In my experience, CAD folks have constantly fed back
that, if I'm=20
                going to constrain the lengths, there's not much
difference between=20
                matching to within 100 mils or 5.  Based on that, we
often put the=20
                constraints to
                5 mils, even though that number appears ridiculously
tight.  It also=20
                allows them to keep constraints consistent throughout a
design, and=20
                less prone to error.  And, if it's over-tight, we don't
have to worry=20
                about how much of the length matching gets applied to
each board (of a

                multi-board design).

                For me, it allows me to ignore length matching as a
variable in my=20
                design; another place I don't have to expend energy.
Instead, I can=20
                spend it on things that are challenging and critical.

                Yes, you are correct that often the constraints appear
absurd.  But,=20
                there are practical reasons for having those tight
constraints.  If=20
                there were significant challenges at meeting the tight
numbers, often=20
                some back-of-the-envelope calculations can be used to
provide=20
                relaxation.

                This paradigm has been in place for years, with FSB
length matching=20
                rules of within 10 mils, for instance.  Yes, the design
could tolerate

                much more, but CAD folks had little problem meeting it,
and it made=20
                length matching a moot point.

                Disclaimer:
                The content of this message is my personal opinion only
and although I

                am an employee of Intel, the statements I make here in
no way=20
                represent Intel's position on the issue, nor am I
authorized to speak=20
                on behalf of Intel on this matter.

                Jeff Loyer

                From: si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                        From: Moran, Brian P <brian.p.moran@xxxxxxxxx>
<mailto:brian.p.moran@xxxxxxxxx>
                        To: sreekanthn <sreekanthn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<mailto:sreekanthn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> ; <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<mailto:si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                        Date: 7/21/2008 9:27:41 PM

                        Hi Sreekanth,

                        There is no single specification for length
matching.  You generally

                        need to simulate and do an AC analysis of each
application.
                        However, I can give you some general rules of
thumb from our DDR2=20
                        design guides. However, our guidelines are based
on motherboard=20
                        rules to the module connector. If your SDRAMs
are down on the=20
                        motherboard, then you do not need to account for
the length=20
                        variation on the modules.  Which should give you
slightly looser=20
                        rules then our guidelines stipulate.=3D3D3D20

                        The length matching between DQ and DQS within a
byte lane is the=20
                        tightest constraint. Here we receommend +/- 20
mils, but this might=20
                        be overkill in some cases.

                        would recommend no
                        more than +/-50 between DQs and their associated
DQS =

        strobe.=3D3D3D20

                        The length matching between CTRL and CLK and
between ADR/CMD and CLK

                is

                        much looser in terms
                        of the length window, but the relative offset
between each of these=20
                        groups and CLK must be adjusted in some cases,
in order to center=20
                        the valid window.  This offset is very much
dependent on the=20
                        controller timing. Most controller allow this to
be done

                through

                        register control.=3D3D3D20

                        But is terms of the length mismatch windows you
can generally live

                with

                        a length window of 1.0"=3D3D3D20
                        (+/- 0.5") on CTRL to CLK, and perhaps 2.0"
(+/-1.0") on ADR/CMD to

                CLK,

                        assuming you are using
                        2N timing on ADR/CMD.

                        DQS to CLK is also constrained. Here the overall
length window is=20
                        generally 1.0" to 1.5" wide.=3D3D3D20

                        So you start by routing and length matching your
CLKs.  Then=20
                        establish your length window around CLK for
CTRL, CMD, and DQS.  If=20
                        you find it hard to route within these windows,
then lengthen CLKs=20
                        as required to get the length window in the
required range.  Usually

                        this is dictated by the min and max length of
the DQS strobes, since

                        the DQ bus has the largest natural length
variation between the=20
                        shortest byte lanes and the longest. =3D3D3D20

                        The controllers generally have a timing offset
control that will=20
                        allow you to optimize setup and hold by shifting
CLK, CTRL and CMD,=20
                        at the source. =3D3D3D20 =3D3D3D20

                        Brian Moran
                        MPG/MPHD/EDE/PEA Group