[SI-LIST] Re: Chip capacitance effect for SSN simulation

  • From: "Poorna Chander Ravva" <poornachander.ravva@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cristian.gozzi@xxxxxxxxx" <cristian.gozzi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 12:29:41 -0400

Hi Cris,
1. As far as I know the IBIS model should include the one die capacitance

2. May be you can just confirm with the silicon vendor

3. Also the frequency range of the anti resonance for your PDN is
important. If the resonance is generally around 1GHz range, then it might
be contributed because of the lack of the on die capacitance.. if the
resonance is much much lower in frequency it is contributed by either the
lack of your package capacitance (since you did not include that anyway)
and or board capacitance

4. Regarding the HFSS simulation: if you are generating your whole power
delivery network model in HFSS it would be very difficult to solve. I
would use tools like PowerSI or Ansoft SIwave to generate the PDN models
and then incorporate the connector models from the HFSS into your final
SSN SPICE simulation...

Thanks,
PoornaChander Ravva

List technical documents are available at: