[SI-LIST] Re: Chip capacitance effect for SSN simulation

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 02:39:52 -0700

You need a model of the silicon that includes the on-die capacitance.
You can try to obtain this, or if it is not available, then derive it
from measurements.  The complexity of the model that you construct
depends on how much accuracy you need.  You will still face the same
challengess as others in the ATE business when dealing with the parallel
bus structure of DRAM switching with very small rise and fall times, and
the inductance of your probing interconnects.

Steve.

On 10/16/2011 2:25 AM, Cristian Gozzi wrote:
> Hi SI members
> I'm simulating DDR2 SSN for a Probe Card system
>
> for those that are not familiar with this application, Probe Card is an
> hardware application to physical connect DIE pads/bumps at wafer level to
> ATE system during Electric Wafer Sort
> In my case Probe-Card is build by a vertical needles that touch DIE pads +
> PCB
>
> During frequency domain analysis of my system, I got a strong PDN peak
> impedance around 1GHz
> This peak impedance was due to anti-resonance effect between PCB PDN system
> and needle PWR parasitic effect
>
> so during time domain analysis I got a strong and unreasonable AC noises
> also with only 2 switching DQ
>
> In my spice deck I only used IBIS model provided by silicon vendor and I
> excluded RLC package effects, since my application is contacting directly
> wafer.
>
> I think I should include chip power rail capacitance effect in order to
> filter high freq noises.
>
> But my question is: which C and R value should I use?
>
> Is these value included in IBIS model?
>
> NOTE: consider that I had to reduce number of PWR needles used for HFSS
> simulation, so I only selected those needles around my 8 DQ + 2 DQS
>
> So I think I should put a lower value of chip capacitance than total one
>
> Any comments from expert are more than welcome
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Regards
> Cris

> List technical documents are available at: