[SI-LIST] Re: Antwort: Re: Placement of Decoupling Caps

  • From: "Raj Raghuram" <raghu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Raymond.Anderson@xxxxxxx>,<si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 12:39:46 -0700

Andreas, Ray and Istvan,

A more detailed study on the "circle of influence" or the "effective radius"
of decoupling capacitors" was published in last year's EPEP conference.  The
paper is titled "Effective Decoupling Radius of Decoupling Capacitors".  It
is found in the paper that 1/10 of the wavelength, where the wavelength
corresponds to the capacitor resonant frequency, may not yield a reliable
estimate of the effective radius.  For example, the effective radius of a
capacitor is found to depend  strongly on the separation between planes.
Also, due to the interaction between the capacitor impedance and power plane
impedance, the frequency where the capacitor has the largest effective
radius is not necessarily the series resonance frequency of the capacitor.
The paper and the presentation slides are available at

http://www.sigrity.com/SUPPORT/support_tech_doc.htm

Best Regards,

Raj Raghuram
Sigrity, Inc.