[SI-LIST] Re: Ground plane split widths...

  • From: "Johnston, Ross" <RJ182000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Alan Hilton-Nickel <ahilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 07:55:12 +0100

Hi Alan,

The I/O being isolated is standard PC I/O (ie. VGA connector, serial,
parallel, audio). The thinking behind completely isolating the IO ground
from main logic ground is threefold:-
1. To stop noise coming out from the logic ground onto the I/O signals.
2. To stop noise entering into the logic ground from the I/O cabling etc.
3. To provide isolation from ESD and external EMC events.

I am aware that there would be an issue of traces crossing plane splits with
respect to return currents. However, I have stitching capacitors fitted
across the split at the point where traces cross the split (to provide a
path for the return current).

My board is a standard 4 layer motherboard with tracking on the top and
bottom layers and power and ground in between.

CHEERS

ROSS