[SI-LIST] Re: Antwort: Re: Placement of Decoupling Caps

  • From: "Istvan Novak" <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jrbarnes@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 07:25:00 -0400

John,

I agree with all three of your statements/conclusions below.

Thanks for posting the Appendix of your design guide.  A
couple of comments:
- as you mentioned, ESR tends to be a function of several things,
therefore the quoted ESR value of around 100 milliohms for
capacitors with X7R and Z5Y dielectrics is true today only for the
smaller-valued capacitors. In the uF range, some X7R capacitors
have less than 10 milliohms ESR.
- I would not limit the useful frequency range of Z5U and Y5U capacitors
just because their dissipation factor increases with frequency.  In fact,
the
ideal bypass capacitor would have zero current leakage at DC and arbitrarily
high conduction (loss tangent) at any AC frequencies: this would in fact
help
bypassing.  But as you say, the huge variation of capacitance over
temperature
and voltage (plus aging) make them an inferior choice anyway.

Regards

Istvan Novak
SUN Microsystems