[SI-LIST] Re: A question about reference plane in gigabit ethernet design!

  • From: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <JackWCLin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,"Si-List (E-mail)" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 07:26:35 -0700

Regarding the statement "Image plane is a return current path for high =
speed single ended signal, but may not needed for differential signal =
pair because most return current will return back through opposite =
polarity signal". =20

I would assert that, for typical PCB geometries, most return current =
does NOT return through the opposite polarity signal.  It returns =
through the reference plane.  Differential signals ARE more tolerant of =
reference plane changes, but not because there isn't substantial current =
through those planes.  As has been described earlier in this forum, it's =
because the respective return currents of the 2 differential halves =
cancel each other at the reference plane boundaries.

But, if you removed the reference plane from a differential pair =
altogether in a PCB (without compensating somehow), you would induce an =
enormous impedance discontinuity.

Perhaps there are some signaling methods being used in PCB's which have =
differential pairs not tightly coupled to reference planes, but I =
haven't heard of them.

As Istvan said, a search through the archives should show significant =
discussion about this.

Just didn't want a misnomer propagating...

Jeff Loyer