[SI-LIST] Re: A question about reference plane in gigabit ethernet design!

  • From: "Istvan NOVAK" <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <JackWCLin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,"Si-List (E-mail)" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 08:17:24 -0400

Jack,

Pieces to this scenario were discussed separately in the past on this list:
you
may want to search the archives for more details.

The starting point is that even if you use differential traces for
signaling, it
is still a good idea to count on a reference plane (which can be either
ground
or supply plane, dependent on how the bypassing is done) to carry a
noticeable portion of the return current.  The reason is purely practical:
this way you can use narrower traces (so that you can achieve higher
routing density) and you need to worry less about stray coupling to
other nearby traces and components.

I hope this helps you to get started.

Regards,

Istvan Novak