[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: withholding

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 19:37:17 -0400

    Withholding is not mean spirited.  If the judge truly believes the
dog is not worthy of being shown, he or she should withhold the
ribbon...at ANY level including Best of Breed.  What difference does it
make that some other judge gave it a major or any points at all...maybe
THAT was the dope, not the one doing the withholding.  I agree that the
judge should have a quiet word with the owner or handler about why the
ribbon is being withheld...if nothing else, to say "don't waste your money."
    Quite a few years ago I withheld on an Old English Sheepdog bitch.
I told the owner/handler the bitch was a good year away from being
competitive.   The next day the bitch went WB and the woman came to tell
me.  That bitch sat with her two points for the next year plus...even
when she was out with a top handler.  She didn't even get a single
Reserve!
    At a show exactly two years and 11 months from the day I'd withheld,
I put a class OES bitch with a handler to Best of Breed over specials
(which finished her)...and later placed her in the group.   The handler
said to me,  "look over there at the owner."  There stood the same woman
I'd withheld from, in tears.  She came to the picture taking and we had
a nice chat...seems that after showing the bitch for about 18 months
with nothing to show for it, she asked the breeder why the bitch wasn't
winning...and the breeder asked her who the judges had been, etc.  She
told her, and then she told her what I'd told her at the bitch's first
show...and the breeder said "you should have listened."
    It was a great day...I got to finish the bitch I'd withheld from
nearly 3 years before, and made a new friend.  It was gratifying to all
of us, because the bitch really turned out to be beautiful.. The owner
died a few months later.  It sounds like a fantasy tale, but it
isn't...it really happened.
    But I digress.  The answer is that sometimes withholding is a
kindness, not mean at all.
Peggy