[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: withholding

  • From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kennadale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsds <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 09:39:22 -0700 (PDT)

IMO withholding a ribbon is mean spirited particularly when there is only one
dog in the class. If the judge wants to make a statement, I'd rather see
him/her say something directly to the person about the quality of the dog
rather than make a public spectical of the individual and their dog in front of
everyone.

Now, withholding points is another story.  I have no problem with judges doing
this because they are protecting the integrity of the breed.

Having said all this I've had a judge withhold a blue from me....not for the
quality of the dog (he was just coming off a major win at 6 months of age), but
for my inept handling abilities.  Here was me all cocky and sure that I was
going for another major...but my bad puppy was in no mood to cooperate that
day...and proceeded to drag me all over the ring....much to the annoyance of
the judge.  I'm sure I was the source of a great deal of amusement for all of
those watching....fortunately I was able to laugh at myself too....though I did
put a handler on the dog the next time out.  So I guess it did teach me
something.

Cindy
Carolyn Mckenna <kennadale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Lee's point was a good one concerning withholding the blue. There is another:
it can
send a message that the animal is not show quality. In this instance it is not
intended to
offend, but can be quite positive. Years ago I saw Ginny McCoy withhold 1st on
a single
entry class. the owner had been showing the dog in puppy, then novice at many
shows,
not realizing that the dog was far from quality. After that day that the blue
was withheld,
she acquired a good dog and became quite successful. So, you see, sometimes
with-
holding can be an act of kindness.
Carolyn
Carolyn McKenna
361-293-5389
POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original