[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Showing in Junior Showman

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: MissJrHandlerGSD@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:25:07 -0400

I hate to tell you, but the judge is supposed to know if you are showing
your dog correctly for its breed...not looking for the dog who stands
out.  Judges who understand the very concept of Junior Showmanship are
responsible for knowing how breeds other than their own are to be
presented...it's even in the Guidelines for Junior Showmanship Judges.
There is nothing there about picking the stand out dogs...in fact, the
judge isn't supposed to consider the dogs, just does the Junior present
the dog properly.  Unfortunately, it is fairly common for a new judge to
ask for Juniors along with the first breed they ask for...that gives
them more to do at a show and often increases the amount the new judge
gets paid (they often get paid by the entry, which includes the
kids)...and they have no bloody clue how to show, for example, a
Pekingese or a Corgi, either.
    You should remember the name of that judge and not give her an entry
ever again.  She doesn't deserve it--looking for flash and dash instead
of what's right!
    Also unfortunately, most judges see a Junior topping and tailing a
gundog and that's where they go for first place...even when the kid is
tripping over their own feet.  They don't know how different table
breeds are set up, either, all too often, and will fault someone with a
Corgi (for example) when the dog's front is set up
correctly............. and too many times the Juniors judges completely
disregard a Junior with a German Shepherd Dog, too!
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Peggy