[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Illustrated Standard/ IMPORTANT!!

  • From: LeBrowngsd@xxxxxxx
  • To: susan-sullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:21:48 EDT

In a message dated 8/15/2005 6:10:11 PM Central Daylight Time,
susan-sullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I realize that the current illustrated standard is somewhat outdated, but I
question the concept of changing it because our dogs don't look like that
anymore...Are you saying we need to change the standard to meet the dogs we are
currently showing because they don't meet the standard?  I'm all for updating
the
illustrated one to match the written one and I believe we have improved
technology to do so successfully.  But to make the pictures look like what we
are
showing today is in effect changing the standard to meet the dogs.  That is not
a good thing to do.  Perhaps we need to look at the dogs we are showing next
to the standard and analyze and correct them through breeding to more closely
reflect the standard not the other way around. That is the whole purpose of a
standard.
I do want the judges to look for a dog that matches the written standard
whether that dog looked more like the standard in the fifties or today
***********************
I just flipped through "The Complete German Shepherd Dog" and those pictures
do not look anything like what our dogs look like today. Some of the pictures
of some Grand Victors would probably not get a ribbon today in a class of 5.
It is not changing the standard, it is different interpretations by different
people. Our IS standard is very outdated. I have many IS standards from most
of the breeds I judge and they make ours look like kindergarten material. Take
a look at the Pems, Cards, Dobes, Akitas, Boxes, etc. and then look at ours
and you will be embarrassed to give this to someone who is expected to judge
our
breed and do a good job of it. When I did a seminar and was sent the material
I received the IS standard. It had been copied so many times that the
pictures were not even clear much less in color like most other IS have them.
IT IS
OUTDATED. Give it a good burial and get a new one.

Lee Brown