[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Shoulders and shoulder layback in puppies

  • From: carolyn mckenna <carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Nancy Harper <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Doris Estabrook <irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 07:54:58 -0800 (PST)

      A resounding YES to Carolyn, Nancy, Jamie, Doris and her dad !
  It is the overall "put-together" , but we might address something else in
  respect to front angulation.....that is shoulder placement. We are
  seeing many dogs whose front assemblies are pushed forward, something
  very briefly addressed in our standard. Our standard also asks for the
  blade 45% to the ground and articulation of blade to upper arm  approximately
  90%,  the upper arm, then, also 45% to the ground.    It is a simple given
  that this being the case, the elbow would be directly under the top of the
  blade, A pushed forward front is usually accompanied by an upright upper
  arm and a short neck. Length of neck is important due to the muscle that
  inserts at the second vertebrae and extends to the bottom of the upper arm.
  The longer any muscle, the more contraction.  Thus length of neck ,not
  exaggerated, of course, is directly related to reach, lift and moving from the
  elbow rather than from the shoulder in that long straight line.
Also,standing,
   the poll of the neck will be in a direct line with the point of shoulder. If
you are
  fortunate enough to have the picture that Dave uses in his seminar, look
  at the perfect proportions that he points out,  all of them noted on the
  picture.
                                  Carolyn
Carolyn <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:  Nancy Harper's answer impressed me
the most because she is speaking to the OVERALL look
of a new puppy......not just shoulder layback.   Actually shoulder angulation
is one of the easiest
parts to 'feel' or 'see' on a new puppy IMO.      But...perfect shoulder amgles
will do you no good
without correct coupling, good backs, good croups, rear angles that produce
powerful thrust to
drive the dog forward to utilize that perfect front.
It's the OVERALL look that we look for in the new puppies beginning with
perfect coupling, nice
shoulder assembly, curves,  length of neck, ( as Jamie mentioned also )
ribbing, etc.
THAT puppy will have that "distinct look" as Nancy says as everything is a
perfect picture.   The
truth comes out later if It can be seen in the ring  when the dog moves at any
speed.    If the front
doesn't match the drive off the rear with a beautiful  "bridge"  of a back in
between and a gait
that appears to look like a "well oiled machine" .......... it is all for
naught anyway.
Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com

-----  Original Message ----- From: Nancy Harper To: irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxx ;
Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx Cc: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L  ] Re:
Shoulders and shoulder layback in puppies
  I also believe in that - as Jamie pointed out when they are "wet" the skin
looks like a thin cover over
   the skeleton.  It is interesting in our line that our better ones usually
have a distinct "look" which I
  can onlydescribe as "" , it was Canadian Select Am Ch O'Danny Boy ROM,   A
lot of luck I know but
   there "something" about those that stand out to me.    Nancy

  >>Just a fun question ->>
  >>How many in GSD "think" they can tell shoulders on a newborn pup?

  >>Jess, I like to "think" I can pick my shoulders when they are wet-born.
>>They lie there wet
  and flaccid, the little skeletons outlined for you to see >>length of bones
and how they
  correspond, etc.  I'm always glad to see a new-born >>with (what appears to
be) an
  exaggerated length of neck because they will>>usually have a good neck and
layback.
  Just my observation....but then,I'm>>"nutty" too.  >>>>>    Jamie
                                 *******************************************>
  >*My dad was a long-time breeder.  He always said the time to look was
  immediately.  In other words,"read'em wet". I have found this to be mostly
  helpful through the years. Mostly, because nothing is absolute. There have
  been times this does not apply, but most of the time it does. Of course it
  is helpful to have knowledge of your bloodlines, both sides. He always
  looked for a long neck. Doris E*

POST  is Copyrighted 2007. All material remains the property of the original
author and of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or FORWARDS of  any kind

PERMISSION OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS  EXPRESSLY
FORBIDDEN, AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS  PROHIBITION WILL BE