[ SHOWGSD-L ] John DeHope

  • From: "Stephanie Bennet" <CorollaGSD@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Show GSD List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 12:16:37 -0400

I never personally met John DeHope.  I wrote to him in April to help me fill in
the blanks for an article that I was doing about past members of my club
(Southern NJ).  He was very helpful to me and I used the information he sent
for the article.  I decided to share it with this list.

Stephanie Bennet
SNJGSDC

  Hi Steph,
    -

    Jonlyn was John and Evelyn's Kennel name and Peggy was their good friend
and did handle for them. Also Ann Brogden was  better know as Anne Graham and
was best known as the owner of the fantastic and handsome Sel.2 Ch. Dot-Wald
Vance CD - ROM. The reason she is so proud of Vance is that he won the Veterans
class and then went on to  Sel. 2 at 7 Years of age. He darn near pulled it
off. I of course was going crazy because she had asked me to fine her two
puppies, one for her and the other for her mother. Dot Faller had a litter and
said if I wanted 2 puppies she would sell them for $125.00 each. ( maybe 150.
each ) One was a male and the other was a female. The male of course turned out
to be Vance.

    -

    My favorite story about Peggy.

    -

    I was in the K-9 corp. and was stationed close to Mt. Holly, Exit 5 on the
NJ Turnpike. The year was 1961.Joe Olivier was the manager of the Howard
Johnson at the Exit 5 and found out that I was working with the dogs at a base
near the HoJo.  Joe is the co-breeder of  the top wining bitch Ch. Kaleef's
Genuine Risk. Anyway, at that time Joe was a big name in obedience as he had
just finished going top dog at the National. Winn Strickland had won it , I
believe, 4 years in a row.  We became friends and Joe took me over to the
SNJGSDC and that started it all for me. One night my partner and I sneaked our
dogs off the base and put on a demo for the SNJGSDC. Hate to think what would
have happened to us if one of our dogs bit someone.  Peggy was one of the
people I met in those very early days. She was a very strong willed person and
wanted desperately to see what it was like to work with the dogs. Finally I
sneak her on base and went down to the dog training area. We put her into the
suit and I sent my dog after her. Funny, he would not hit her. He said " It's a
girl "  :-)  My buddy Dave O'Conner sent his dog after her and she took several
direct hits. She felt great after we were finished. I must say, She had guts.
She did very well. Not to many, men or woman would do what she did, allow these
dogs to come after her without any prior training. When you are young you do
not think of the consequences of your action. :-)

    Anyway the SNJGSDC has a special place in my heart. It was also at their
match show that I met Connie Beckhardt. That turned out to be a lifelong
friendship. Connie was my mentor, and I realize over the years how lucky I was
to have her as a best friend.

    -

    John