[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Fun at shows

  • From: "Cynthia Gialluca" <cgialluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cudjoegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 14:07:50 -0600

I LOVE dog shows!  I love to go to them, watch them (even on TV) participate
in them, talk to the people surrounding them, encourage new people,
introduce new people to the "old dog people" that I know.... I love it all.
Even when I have to work my hiney off grooming, feeding, scooping poop,
setting up, tearing down, holding dogs, running dogs back and forth to the
handler, and I am not even showing a dog of my own, I love it.  I was in
dogs in the late 80's to mid 90's.  I had the judge that judged the day of
my first show be rather rude to me.  I didn't walk away, I went out and
bought a dog that I could be competitive with, and was competitive with him.

In 97 I moved to TN and basically left dogs for a short time.  Throughout my
self imposed exhile, all I wanted to do was get back in dogs.  Now I am
again and I couldnt be happier.

My husband is just being introduced to dog shows.  He went to his first
National (just the BOB day) at the last Perry National, and again to St
Louis.  He is planning to go to this comming national, and would have gone
to the last one had he been able to get the time off.  He went with me to
Houston last weekend and had a blast.  He can't wait to go to the next one.

I believe that the key to his excitement is the fact that he has been
welcomed by the fancy.  People have been friendly, and he has finally seen
why I love it so.  However, had I taken my first show experience and judged
the fancy entirely by that experience alone, both my husband and I would
have missed out on what we so love today.  Some people are willing to give a
second, third, 10th chance, some aren't.  We need to make sure that the
first view of the dog show fancy that a new person sees is pleasant and
encourages them to return again, and again.

Cindy Gialluca
Cyneca German Shepherds