[sfvcca] Re: Abused patient

  • From: "Diane Miller" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "wellnesscn@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: sfvcca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 22:10:20 -0400 (EDT)

Wow, there you have it!  That's sad.

-----Original Message-----
From: Helle Leap <helle@xxxxxxxx>
To: sfvcca <sfvcca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, Aug 11, 2014 3:30 pm
Subject: [sfvcca] Re: Abused patient

Thanks for all the reply's.
As a FYI: I contacted the State Board and they stated the following:

Thank you for contacting the Board of Chiropractic Examiners regarding your
patient. Penal Code section 11160 requires you, as a health care professional,
to report any known or suspected suspicious injuries:
·      Suspicious injury includes any wound or other physical injury that
either was:
-       Inflicted by the injured person’s own act or by another where the
injury is by means of a firearm, or;
-       Is suspected to be the result of assaultive or abusive conduct
inflicted upon the injured person
·         Report suspicious injuries to your local law enforcement agency by
telephone immediately, or as soon as practically possible;
·         Submit the required completed written report to your local law
enforcement agency within two working days of discovering a suspicious injury;

When I called the police they said that they would only make a report if the
abuse was sexual or of a minor.

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 11:11 PM, Seth Goldstein <backbiz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Excellent advice  Call the LAPD immediately.  Seth Goldstein

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 8, 2014, at 11:07 PM, Dale Fernandez <dalefernandez@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,
Anytime someone is in immediate danger of life or bodily harm, it is
appropriate to contact the authorities.  A patient of mine was affiliated with
LAPD's D.A.R.T program.
If you believe she needs continued resources to protect herself from her pimp,
this program can help the victim by assigning an advocate to help her through
the process.

http://www.lapdonline.org/get_informed/content_basic_view/8893

I have forwarded your message to Linda Coltrin, the CCA district liaison, to
give you more information on your obligations as a health physician in
reporting such cases.

Dr. A. Dale Fernandez
Treasurer
San Fernando Valley District of the
California Chiropractic Association
http://www.ccamembers.com/

Dr. Fernandez's practice information:
BACK TO WELLNESS
Tel:(818) 985-2559
Fax: (818) 985-4459
www.backtowellnesscenter.com

On Aug 8, 2014, at 10:57 PM, Margaret Perez (Redacted sender
"drmargaretperez@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC) <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Have her contact Haven Hills in Canoga Park.  It's a domestic violence shelter.
 They may be able to help

  On Friday, August 8, 2014 8:25 PM, Helle Leap <helle@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I need a little help here.

An existing patient of mine (Alex) brought in a new patient today. It was a 19
year old women  (Pat) who she had just met (found) last night. Pat told me that
she had been abused by her "pimp" (her own words).  She had signs of abuse.
Black eye, swollen face, swollen ribs, bruised lumbar and cervical spine.
Alex had taken her to the hospital lat night where Pat was examined and
prescribed meds since she had a UTI. They both told me that a police report was
made but that no one seemed very interested since she has no health insurance.
I saw her paperwork from the hospital and the prescription. I didn't see a
police report.
Alex told me that she would take Pat to her house where she will stay for a
while.
While they were in my office her "pimp" was calling Pat's cell phone. She
didn't answer it.

What are my obligations?
Do I have to notify the police?

I appreciate your help.