[sfvcca] Abused patient

  • From: Helle Leap <helle@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: sfvcca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 20:24:52 -0700

I need a little help here.

An existing patient of mine (Alex) brought in a new patient today. It was a
19 year old women  (Pat) who she had just met (found) last night. Pat told
me that she had been abused by her "pimp" (her own words).  She had signs
of abuse. Black eye, swollen face, swollen ribs, bruised lumbar and
cervical spine.
Alex had taken her to the hospital lat night where Pat was examined and
prescribed meds since she had a UTI. They both told me that a police report
was made but that no one seemed very interested since she has no health
insurance.
I saw her paperwork from the hospital and the prescription. I didn't see a
police report.
Alex told me that she would take Pat to her house where she will stay for a
while.
While they were in my office her "pimp" was calling Pat's cell phone. She
didn't answer it.

What are my obligations?
Do I have to notify the police?

I appreciate your help.