[sac-forum] Re: Observing Awards

  • From: "Peter Argenziano" <pargenz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 07:51:16 -0700

My 2¢:

Since SAC's infamous database is so widely used, I think it only logical to
extend observing awards to the amateur astronomy community at large. Such
awards should be fully funded by the recipient, including postage. The
recipient could be given a choice of a certificate and/or a plaque, since they
are paying for them.

As for the workload to accommodate this endeavor: have you gotten many such
requests historically? Perhaps a member can volunteer to serve in this capacity.

I would think a page on the website outlining the observing program's rules, as
pertaining to non-members, would be a good idea.

Overall, I think it is a great way to extend some of the benefits of a great
club to those not fortunate enough to have a local club.

Peter