[rollei_list] Re: looks like ... agfa Sala

  • From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 14:04:51 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

This will be helpful to your Richard:

http://www.dr5.com/faqprint.html

Eric Goldstein

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: May 30, 2005 11:19 AM
To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: looks like ... agfa Sala

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, May 30, 2005 8:26 AM

> Also remember that you do not have the base fog to deal
> with on films speci=
> fically meant to be reverse processed. I don't believe
> there is another b/w=
> film out there that is clear based...
>
> Eric Goldstein

   I haven't used any Agfa B&W film in 35mm so I don't know
directly. The data sheet shows an anti-halation layer under
the emulsion rather than as a back coating, an arrangement
common on color films. Locating the layer there eliminates
the need for the anti-light-piping pigment in the support. I
wonder if Agfa coats these films on a clear support. Of
course, if Agfa dies this won't be helpful.
   I have never seen anything in the literature about the
differences in the emulsion between a regular negative film
and one meant for reversal. I suspect there are such
differences. Except for reversal laboratory materials
intended to make direct copies of negatives reversal films
are generally intended for viewing by projection. That
requires considerably higher contrast and maximum density
than is usual for negatives. A specific curve shape may also
be desirable. While many negative materials seem to be
capable of successful reversal a specialized material is
likely to give either better results or be less fussy in
processing or both.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA