[rollei_list] Re: looks like ... agfa Sala

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 00:16:44 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thor Legvold" <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, May 30, 2005 11:30 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: looks like ... agfa Sala

>I seem to recall a scene in "Cinema Paradiso" that involved
>nitrate
> based film catching on fire (due to the heat of the lamp
> on one section
> of film that was stationary instead of rolling).
>

> Thor

  I don't know the movie but theater fires started by
overheated film were not uncommon. There were also a couple
of large fires at movie labratories and at studios from the
same cause. Motion picture projectors had all sorts of
safety devices on them. There were buckle trips to stop the
machine if the film broke, an automatic douser on the
lamphouse to close it off in case of broken film. The entire
machine was enclosed and the film passed through tight
rollers between the upper magazine and the projector proper,
and again when leaving the projector and going into the take
up magazine. There were mechanical heat fuses over each
machine set up to trip the iron shutters over the projection
ports and start fire sprinklers. The theater fires which
inspired all this were absolutely dreadful. The public got a
wake up call big time and demanded some sort of safety.
  Most of the directors of phography were sorry to seen
nitrate stock go because it had excellent clarity where
acetate sometimes could be seen to "boil" a little. Oh,
well, it will all be digital soon.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA