[rollei_list] Re: looks like ... agfa Sala

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 17:54:03 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carlos Manuel Freaza" <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, May 30, 2005 4:43 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: looks like ... agfa Sala

> Thank you very much for the detailed explanation,
> Richard, it was necessary for me, in general we
> associate "film base" with the film back (acetate
> etc.) in Spanish.
> I am only using color films for 35 mm, however if
> nobody answers the question, I'll ask to a friend of
> mine tomorrow.-
>
> All the best
> Carlos

  Carlos, that is correct. The support or base is the
material on which the light sensitive emulsion is coated.
Many materials have been used historically, mostly either
Cellulose Nitrate or some form of Cellulose Acetate. Many
films are now coated on some form of polyester (Kodak Estar,
DuPont Cronar, etc.). Polyester has the advantage of
excellent dimensional stability, very high tear strength,
and very low absorption of moisture during processing.
However, it isn't perfect so Cellulose acetate continues to
be used for many films.
   Cellulose Nitrate was the first flexible film base,
introduced in the late 1880's. It has good mechanical
properties and optical properties, but is very highly
inflammable and is chemically unstable. Nitrate film was
discontinued all together in 1951, at least in the U.S.  No
16mm film was ever made on Nitrate, and Kodak discontinued
it for still films in the early 1930's although Agfa and
others continued to make it.
   Nitrate film evolves oxygen when it is ignited so its
nearly impossible to extinguish. Nitrate film will burn
under water and under sand!

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA