[rollei_list] flash with sl66e?

  • From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 20:48:12 -0500

Frederic,

Good Question.  I have the 580 EX II too and wondered the same
thing.  It has a regular PC terminal under a rubber cover on the
side, so it may sync with the SL66SE in manual mode (no TTL!). You
might just need a PC-PC cord

I somewhat disagree with Carlos regarding the 1/30 sec synch speed of
the SL66.  Yes, it is slow but not impossible to handhold and when
using a strong flash indoors your flash light duration essentially
works as a "shutter" giving you 1/10000 - 1/50000 or so "shutter"
speed. Plenty short enough.  Of course, fill-flash, where you need to
balance outdoor exposure and flash exposure is a different matter.
Here you would need a tripod and some trial and error with the flash
at different settings.

You can of course also use older Rollei, Braun, Metz, Vivitar flashes
with "Computer" ranges.  I still have a Metz 32 BCT 2 with three
computer ranges that works and looks great on older cameras (Leica,
Ikonta, original SL66) with or without hot shoe.

Jan