[rollei_list] Re: flash with sl66e?

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 11:10:38 -0600

Hi to all,

I've also followed this thread for a while, and have a couple of
suggestions. In general, I agree with Mike Kovacs that TTL flash has
specific uses (more than just candids, though), and if one requires that
capability then a camera with 1/30th max. sync speed may not be the best
fit. However, there are many situations where "walk-around" flash is
practical, if not necessary, and as others have pointed out, except for
fill flash the 1/30th sync speed is not an issue. A decent flash with auto
exposure settings will be more than adequate in those situations.

An important consideration for using flashes with a Rollei -- and it
doesn't seem to make a lot of difference which one -- is where the flash
will hang. Rollei put controls on both sides of the camera making it
impractical to mount a flash too close to either side and still work the
controls easily. If not going with a dedicated system such as the Metz
flashes, it might be easier to use a bracket and connect via PC cord, but
many "modern" flashes often lack a PC connection. Get a flash that does
have a PC connection, or go with the Metz. For some reason, the "potato
masher" models go quite cheaply on the used market, and balance fairly
well with the Rollei SLRs.

Regards,

Neil