[rollei_list] Re: Veterans' Day/Armistice Day/Remembrance Day

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 01:57:47 -0500

At 12:25 AM 11/12/2008, Peter K. wrote:
>One man's opinion is that Plato "may" not be the source. Who knows.
>Many things were not written down others said many times.
>
>"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they
>have to say something." -- Plato

Peter, this is a fine point. Yes, there really is a corpus of knowledge which has been passed from Classical scholar to Classical scholar for two thousand years: I am the recipient of some of this. None of it is secret. We just have no source for it to cite. In some cases, it is clearly true, while in others it is, well, questionable. Those engineers who demean the traditional education ought to bear in mind that, at the least, there is a teacher-to-student link in Classical studies going back to, say, with some thought, I can only say, 220 BC. Linguistic studies have
Best,

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!