[rollei_list] Re: Veterans' Day/Armistice Day/Remembrance Day

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 00:53:15 -0500

At 12:18 AM 11/12/2008, Robert Meier wrote:
>Here is what they say:
>
>Santayana's "Soliloquies in England" (Scribners, 1924, p. 102), Soliloquy
>#25, "Tipperary", in a section which reads: "Yet the poor fellows think they
>are safe! They think that the war is over! Only the dead have seen the end
>of war." Santayana does not attributes the saying to Plato, or anybody else
>for that matter.
>
>Those are the exact words.

Thank you, Bob. Waste no more time on this, as it is a VERY minor point and one not worth pursing. I would like to see a copy of the exact words in an annotated edition of Santayana's works, and I still hold that the original thought comes from Aeschylus. But my primary contact for such Greek Tragedians was my Director of Graduate Studies at Yale, and he has been dead these twenty years.

Let's drop it. I'll continue to quote the remark but will cite it as apparently coming from Santayana. MacArthur was a lover of all knowledge and was immensely well-read, so he might well have read Sntayana. I'd have to drive an hour down to Norfok to the MacArthur Library to find out such things: I believe that MacArthur drafted in his last days a list of the works which he found to have had the greatest effect on him.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!