[rollei_list] Re: Tripods for use with Rolleiflex?

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 13:22:45 -0500

Ken,

While it is possible to attach the Rollei to any standard tripod mount, there are special considerations. Because the camera's tripod mount is shallow, care must be taken to not turn the attaching screw too far or it can dent or push through the camera's bottom. Also, since only sheet metal holds the mount in place, it is possible that in some positions the weight might strain the camera's back, potentially causing it to warp.

A Rolleifix mitigates these problems, and in addition greatly facilitates the process of re-loading film. After decades experience, I finally concluded that it is the proper method of tripod attachment and one of the necessary Rollei accessories. Without a Rolleifix atop, I don't consider a tripod properly equipped to accommodate a Rollei. No other quick attachment device works as well.

Sorry about that,

Allen Zak

On Jan 5, 2006, at 8:31 AM, Kenneth Frazier wrote:

Listers,

Any suggestions, tips, hints, about using my Rolleiflex on a tripod?  Will the Rolleifix work on any standard tripod?  Will any "standard" tripod mount work on the Rolleiflex?

My tripod is relatively sturdy, has detachable camera mounts, bubble level, and I'd rather not have to spring for another, if this one will work.

TIA

Ken
The Rev. Kenneth Frazier
Connecticut Conference, United Church of Christ
Current Leica Photography (PAW):
<x-tad-smaller>http://tinyurl.com/6sc2r</x-tad-smaller>

Current Medium Format Photos:
<x-tad-smaller>http://tinyurl.com/bjvfn</x-tad-smaller>