[rollei_list] Re: Tripods for use with Rolleiflex?

  • From: Dennis HO Siu-chung <CCSCHO@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 16:38:48 +0800

Did anyone tried the Manfrotto Neotec 458B? Is it good enough for the Rollei 6008 setup with longer lens (e.g. 180/f2.8 and 300/f4 etc...)?

The technological advancement seems to allow much quicker setup time and attracted me more than the always price-increasing Gitzo alternative. For those of you who have both Manfrotto 458B and Gitzo like 1227, 13xx etc..., please also make a hands on comparison. I am more interested to know hands on experience than data.

Can anyone of you also share the experience of the ballheads from Really Right Stuff? The spring loaded medium one (BH40 LR) together with the 458B seems to be a pretty quick and neat setup when mated together. For absolute steadiness, I understand the Gitzo 1325 or 1348 together with Arca B1 ballhead or Really Right Stuff BH-55 could serve well, however I have to strike a balance with the price and equally important the weight and speed. Moreover, a tripod that is too heavy and always stay at home does not make much sense. Comments please?!

http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/templates/templates.php3?sectionid=88&itemid=2673

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/ballheads/

BTW, just want to share with you Rollei fans that KangRinpoche of China is producing dedicated Arca-Swiss style dovetail quick-release plates for Rollei 6008 and also 300mm f4 lens at roughly US$45 and US$40 respectively. However since the web page is Chinese only, not sure if you know how to order it online?!

If you are interested to have a look, please refer to the following link, but you may have to scroll through the pages as their pagenumber changes when there are more posts.
http://forum.xitek.com/showthread.php?threadid=211363&pagenumber=3

Happy New Year

-Dennis