[rollei_list] Re: Tripods for use with Rolleiflex?

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 11:44:45 -0500

On Jan 5, 2006, at 9:49 PM, Don Williams wrote:

At 05:47 PM 1/5/2006 -0800, Slobodan Dimitrov wrote:
If all the locating pins sit on top of the tripod's quick release
plate, then you really don't need a Rolleifix for now.
If you plan to take portraits with your Rollei, a Rolleinar 1 is a must.
Does this camera of yours have a lens hood?
Although I recognize the weakness of the Rollei tripod socket system, I have never bothered with a Rolleifix or any similar thing.

Most of the time, I have a tripod with a large plate on it which properly supports the camera.  In other instances, I just brace the camera on a church pew, against a table, or against a wall.

Sometimes I just use a miniature tripod which is always strapped to my camera accessory case and have never had a problem with distorting the Rollei bottom.

I've actually been doing this only since 1954 so there is indeed a chance that I will damage my camera some time in the future by not having an adapter.

 My conclusion, the Rolleifix is an accessory I chose to do without.

Don Williams
 La Jolla, CA

Don,
Coincidentally, I have been doing photography since 1954, from the very first with a Rolleiflex (Automat @ 1939) and have not been without 'flex or 'cord since. My conclusion has been that a Rolleifix, along with lens hood, medium yellow filter and #1 Rolleinar set are the necessary accessories. Having lacked one or another of these items at various times, I know it is entirely possible to live a full life without any of them. However, complete satisfaction with the Rollei experience then becomes elusive. Makeshift works, but it is always best to use the right tool for the job.

Allen Zak