[rollei_list] Re: T shutter jam, cont'd

  • From: Robert Meier <robertmeier@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 09:49:38 -0500 (CDT)

I concede, Sanders, that there are times when a rectangle works well, too. Do you use the prism with the T for vertical shots?

On Apr 28, 2009, at 7:22 AM, Sanders McNew wrote:

Ordinarily I would agree with you.  But when I am
shooting a 3/4-length person, the square leaves
an awful lot of space on either side.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandersnyc/2494312376/

Of course it is possible to use arms and hands and
posture to help fill more of  the frame and make the
person look less like a stick:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandersnyc/2355209130/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandersnyc/2671412044/

In the past my impulse has been to shoot these with
a 5x7 view camera:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandersnyc/1402145874/

Recently I've moved to the T with the 16-frame mask,
turned on its side, to shoot them:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandersnyc/3436677435/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandersnyc/3479890438/

Though it sounds awkward, using a T on its side (on
a tripod, of course) is actually quite easy.  And since
none of the people I photograph have ever been
shot with a film camera before, let alone a Rolleiflex,
they don't find it any weirder than being photographed
with an upright Rolleiflex -- it's all alien to them.

Sanders

From: Robert Meier <robertmeier@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: T shutter jam, cont'd
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 22:49:12 -0500 (CDT)

Why even use that miserable mask??   The beauty of a Rollei is the
wonderful square image.