[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex 2.8C Film Frame

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 09:56:16 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "ERoustom" <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2008 5:35 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Rolleiflex 2.8C Film Frame

A Rolleiflex technical querry for a change.  : )

I've been thinking a bit about the problem (discussed many times already) of over exposure in a line along the top of the frame. Example here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elroustom/2422405163/ I was looking at the two vertical rails on either side of the frame, that the film is pressed against, and noting how much higher they are than the two horizontal limits of the frame. I can understand the need to recess these to avoid scratching the film as it winds past, but I wonder if they are too low? Does anyone have a 2.8C and a later model that does not exhibit this "Bug"? And can you compare the difference in height between the vertical rails and the horizontal ends around the film frame?

Illustration of question here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elroustom/2533890102/

Cheers,

E.

Its normal for there to be a slight gap. Lay a straight edge one of the rails (the long way) so it extends over the rollers. The top roller should be just about even with the rail, the lower roller will have a larger gap. I am not sure why its arranged this way but it may be related to the difference in the angle the film makes with the take up spool vs: the feeler roller. The back plate does not really press the film against the rails, rather it forms a channel for the film to run through. The back is positioned by four "feet" at the edges which contact reference surfaces just outside of the film rails. Depending on the model when the plate is moved the the 35mm position either the feet are moved to another set of reference surfaces or there is a second set of feet that contacts the same reference surface. If my understanding of this system is correct the tendency of the film to bow towards the back of the camera keeps it relatively flat against the back plate. Since the back plate is evidently what establishes the film plane it must move for 35mm film to accomodate the difference in thickness of the film plus paper of 120 vs: the thickness of the film alone for 35mm plus the difference in thickness of the stock. Since the film is not pressed against the rollers there is a small gap though which light can be reflected by the rollers from the film gate to the space between frames or to the next frame.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx