[rollei_list] Re: Pronunciation

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 16:21:25 -0400

At 04:11 PM 5/28/2008, Dennis Purdy wrote:
>  Sorry for this stupid question.  I would have never guessed that
>anyone would not pronounce Rolleiflex like Roll E Flex.  Roll Film
>Reflex.  But it seems there are a great many who pronounce the word as
>Raughlie or Rawlie.  Or Raughlieflex.    I have been assured that is
>the way it is pronounced in Germany.  Is that true?   It seems there
>are even those who say Rrawl eye or Rawl A.

Dear heavens!

As a general rule, German pronounces two vowels falling together by the second one. Those, "Rollei" is properly pronounced "roll-eye" in English and not "roll-ee". Pronounce the i, not the e.

A Germanophone would probably pronounce the o further back in the throat than would an Anglophone but this varies a bit by region.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!