[rollei_list] Re: On-Topic Discussions: Rolleinars

  • From: "Stephen Attaway" <stephen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 19:40:02 -0800

From: Allen Zak
Sent: Saturday, January 23, 2010 2:01 PM
To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: On-Topic Discussions: Rolleinars

Hi Allen et al:

I too have a 6x7 outfit that stays in the closet while my Rollei goes out with
me. Probably its because the Rollei is so nice to use, so quiet, and of course
much lighter.

Scans from Rollei transparencies are almost 9,000 pixels a side, and so can
stand a bit of cropping.

I do use a 1.5x mutar from time to time, always at 5.6 and below. It gives
excellent results. And the 1.5x balences well on the camera.

On Jan 23, 2010, at 14:01, Allen Zak wrote:

From the start (1954) I have regarded the Rollei square view more a starting
point than as a compositional imperative. I frequently compose with vertical or
horizontal images intended to be cropped for the print. One of the things I
like most about working with a square format is that it allows, among other
compositional choices, a limited rise, fall and shift by placing a subject on
the upper, lower or side of the frame. Of course, the square itself is perfect
for many compositions. Rectangular formats are fine, but the square allows a
certain freedom of placement lacking in the others. I find that 35 mm, 6X9, 6X7
and such all nudge me to compose in those formats, while the square provides me
with no such constraints. But that's just my personal take on the matter.

Allen Zak